Sunday, April 22, 2007

One of the best things I added was this automatic chicken door. It can be set to open and close with the sun, or set to a clock. This adds an extra level of night time predator protection for those chicken smart enough to go in at night. Of course, most of mine aren't that smart.

8-12 of my chickens will roost on the railing of the back porch of the playhouse each night.



Every few months I get 5 bales of hey or straw for the yard. its great for controlling mud and the chicken like to scratch in it. I will generally keep 2 or 3 bales whole for a while because the chickens also like to sit on the bales.
I have 2 water sources for my chickens. In the picture above, there is a large plastic tub stating on top of several apple crates. fresh water goes in there most days.
There is also stainless steal water can that I keep under a small covering. The cover does a good job of keeping the chicken from sitting on top of the can and crapping in their own water supply.

The cover also keeps the rain off of the heated base that the water sits on in the winter so that it does not freeze.

Below, their feed bin is hung on the inside of the big entry door into the hut.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: